maybe it’s me, but…

I know I talked about noticing the abundance of ectoplasmic cum ghosts in m/m romance lately, but this seems to have been taken over by stories featuring grieving heroes moving on to find new love after the death of a partner.

Or maybe these books were always there and I just made up the ghost thing??

*shrugs*

Either way, I don’t necessarily think this is a bad theme per se…

It just reminds me a bit of all those old Mills and Boon titles like The Widowed Duke’s Reckless Marriage To The Unconventional Italian Countess Who Was Actually A Spy And, Coincidentally, The Cross Dressing Bastard Son Of A Shiek.

Am I right or what.

This entry was posted in m/m, maybe it's me but, romance, themes. Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to maybe it’s me, but…

Yeah, I've noticed this theme has been around quite a lot recently. Or maybe it's just that I like this theme and so have been reading those books and ignoring the stalker books. Or the ghost books. Or the shifter books. Three themes I am heartily sick of at the moment.

Yeah, I've noticed that too. I suppose like any theme it goes in cycles. I tend to be slightly oblivious though until after I read them and go “Oh, look at that”.

I still like stalkers but I think it stems from my years of reading mysteries.

Oh wait, I don't like stalkers as in, admire them, stalker themed books. Sheesh, I'm not totally psycho.

Nice try talking yourself out of that one, Tam…

5. Angelia says:

Vamps and weres are on the way out. Ghosts and Zombies are the new paranormal.

Jenre: I don't think I've seen a stalker book in a while… unless it's a stalker ghost, of course. There are a few of those about.

Tam: “Sheesh, I'm not totally psycho.”

Sure, you're not… *hides behind Chris*

Angelia: “I could so go for the Unconventional Countess/Cross-dressing Bastard Son of a Sheik.”

Ree-hee-eel-lee. Would you go for it in a 'yes, Kris, I will do your choose your own m/m story challenge and this would be the theme' way??

7. Eyre says:

I think Angelia just accidentally volunteered herself to write a story for Kris!

Eyre: She did indeed. 😛

“You folks are right that these themes tend to go in cycles. It seems like everyone was writing vampires, then shifters, then stalkers, etc.”

It's kind or weird though. I mean, yes, some of its bandwagon stuff, but how the hell do a whole heap get released AT THE SAME TIME to begin with. Maybe it's a conspiracy??

9. nichem says:

Just the other day I was thinking about how there seem to be a lot of books with that theme lately. It is weird how they all seem to show up at the same time like that. Hmmm. Works for me, though, because I really like the theme.

10. Eyre says:

Kris, I think it is a conspiracy. The pubs are looking around saying, “So-ans-so's ghost story sold, so we need ghost stories.” It's either that or all these authors are really the same person publishing tons of work under different names. Oh wait, that's only that one epub . . .

I never could abide shifters, still like vampires, don't mind stalkers, and feel ambivalent about ghosts.

Zombies…uh, no thanks. I've seen too many George Romero films for the words erotic, romance, and zombie to mesh well in my mind.

As for themes turning up in bunches? Two words: hive mind.

Seriously, I can't account for it. I don't think all that many writers pay close attention to who's publishing what. When I wrote The Prayer Waltz, I never thought, Oh wow, there's a shiny new bandwagon passing by and I must leap onto it!

Freakin' thing could've run me over and I wouldn't have noticed.

KZ: “I've seen too many George Romero films for the words erotic, romance, and zombie to mesh well in my mind.”

That would do it. BTW, this is for you: http://yfrog.com/mxb6qwj *kiss, kiss*

“Freakin' thing could've run me over and I wouldn't have noticed.”

*snort* I actually think that your book was one of the first out there. You sure you don;t want to change your mind and become a trendsetter? 😛

Why didn't you post? Stupid blogger!

Richelle: “It is weird how they all seem to show up at the same time like that.”

I know! Far be it for me to question KZ's hive mind theory, but… I somehow don't think that's the answer. Unless of course all m/m authors think the same way and have exactly the same influences… *ponders* Maybe it's the epubs spying on each other's sales??

Eyre: “It's either that or all these authors are really the same person publishing tons of work under different names. Oh wait, that's only that one epub . . . “

*tsk, tsk* Naughty, naughty. 😛

15. Angelia says:

Would you settle for unconventional princess who is the crossdressing son of the late king?

As for volunteering, I'm not free until after the new year. I have two 20,000 word novellas contracted that must be done by Dec 1.

But after that, sure.

16. Angelia says:

@KZ

I've written a couple of romances with zombies. But I find the zombies work better as a plot complication for the lovers. Not to say I haven't written one where one of the lovers is a zombie, but there's no sex in it.

Funny thing, though. My zombie stories tend to involve lesbian couples, sometimes steampunk. It all just seems to go together nicely.

(Also the previous comment should read “Corssdressing bastard son of the late king”)

Angelia, yeah, I can see zombies as a foil. (Heh. Foil zombies — there's a new one.) And in steampunk? Perfect! But as lovers either male or female, 'mo or 'ro, aaaaack. That's when my mind stalls out.

Buggers gotta STINK. And of course they can't take showers, because that would be similar to my rusty 1995 Ford going through a carwash…if you catch my drift.

Maybe it's the epubs spying on each other's sales?

Thing is, our publishers don't suggest what we write. We just write and then hope somebody picks up our stories. (That's how we unprivileged scribblers operate, anyway — compose, submit, cross fingers.)

19. Angelia says:

You don't stop loving someone just because they die, KZ. And there's still the possibility of getting help, so my driver will never turn her back on her (very freshly dead, and still mobile) lady-love.

Yeah, they stink, but when the whole world smells like that, it's not too noticeable.

20. ElaineG says:

This comment has been removed by the author.

21. ElaineG says:

Lemme try this again without sounding like a moron:

At the risk of sounding like a kiss-ass? You ARE right! *grins* Tam's right too though, cause themes do cycle through….but I tend to wanna go from one theme to another, so that's a good thing for me as far as reading goes. I love the choice to read vampires for awhile, then pirates, then psychic FBI agents, etc. For recurring themes in any other area of my life? NO THANKS….legwarmers anyone??? LOL

22. Good point Kris.. follow me culture hits again…

In fairness to M&B thought, they have corner the market on that dead/new love plotline – is there any angle left for them to try..

I wonder what will be the must write theme this time next year…

🙂

*staying WAY away from the zombie romance discussion*

Angelia: I'm buggered if I know how I missed your story, Angelia, especially since I'm a sucker for Robin Hood stories. 🙂

“But after that, sure.”

YAY! *adds name to victim list*

KZ: “Thing is, our publishers don't suggest what we write. We just write and then hope somebody picks up our stories.”

Maybe THEY are the one who are psychic and sending theme thoughts to their fave authors??

Elaine: Suck up. 😛

“… but I tend to wanna go from one theme to another, so that's a good thing for me as far as reading goes…”

LOL. It does save you from getting bored. It's a poo when there is over saturation of the market though.

BTW, I had a moment recently when I saw someone who looked great and thought 'oooh, leg warmers'. A second later I gave myself a slap across the back of the head.

EH: M&B definitely had this theme – and a whole heap of others – down pat before anyone else.

“I wonder what will be the must write theme this time next year…”

My vote is for a zombie who is not the usual zombie but because of zombie discrimination has to quit the police force to become a private detective and his first case involved a wrongfully charged twink who is psychic (and a club dancer) and has been trying to solve the mysterious disappearances of drag queens on his own and which has now put himself in the path of Zombie Dick, blah, blah.

Actually, yes. Like Tam said, I think themes run in cycles.

Did someone mention stalkers? NOOOOOOO! *runs and hides*

The Widowed Duke's Reckless Marriage To The Unconventional Italian Countess Who Was Actually A Spy And, Coincidentally, The Cross Dressing Bastard Son Of A Shiek.

Hmmm…. Do you have a second job we don't know about?

Orannia: “Hmmm…. Do you have a second job we don't know about?”

Well, I don;t like to brag about my career in coming up with titles at M&B, but…

27. Angelia says:

Kris, if he retains enough cognition to work as a detective, then you have a revenant on your hands.

Zombies are, by every definition, mindless. Seriously, I could write you a revenant detective.

I did the revenant stripper twink with the demonic boss already.

Angelia: “I did the revenant stripper twink with the demonic boss already.”

You did?? I so need to read that now. 🙂

29. Angelia says:

“Deadman's Curve” in Into Dark Waters.

That's a collection of reprints, older stuff from Naomi and me. Comes in Kindle and paperback.

Thanks Angelia! 🙂