old dog, new tricks?

Can you believe I’ve had my blog for nearly 4 years?  Maybe I can make a commitment after all.

Who knew.

Anyways, something I’ve been noticing for a while now, is how the reading habits of the people I’ve come to know pretty well have changed during these last 4 years.

Well, except for Tam.  She’s still pretty much hooked on the m/m twincest thing.

No further comment.

So, not counting La Perve, I’ve seen mates dip their toes and then dive screaming ‘YEEEEEEHAW!’ into m/m, seen mates turn to YA for a change in scene, seen mates return to category romance, seen mates become rabid yaoi fans, and even seen some mates people develop freaky obsessions like owning every single story ever written about wereoctupi.

Weirdos.

I have to say, though, the most dramatic swings in taste I’ve witnessed, has been what was practically a galactic-sized U-turn by our own sweet English Rose.

I mean, seriously?  Did anyone see that coming at all??

Holeee.  Sheeet.

Jen’s like Teh Reviewer of the hardest of the cores of Teh BDSM Cat-o-9-Tales.  She’s the go-to girl for Master/Slave.  She’s the Dominatrix of the genre.  She wears leather cuffs and a mask when sh-…

Well, you get the picture.

*ahem*

But what about you? Have you noticed any differences in what you and/or others have been reading recently?  Sure, people change and stuffs.  That’s natural.  But what do you think has really been behind *waggles eyebrows* it?  Or is it nothing more than a reaction to complete and utter bat-shit boredom?  Lend me thy thoughts.

This entry was posted in books, Jenre, reading, tam, themes. Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to old dog, new tricks?

Four years! If I wasn’t so lazy, I’d go see what the four year anniversary thingy was. 🙂

Um. I wasn’t reading m/m in 2008. So, that’s different, ‘cos now that’s pretty much all I read. Heavy on the mystery/romantic suspense/contemporary, dabbling in paranormal with occasional forays into scifi and historical. Plus a dash of bdsm throughout.

• Kris says:

I think I might have been reading m/m for a couple of months by the time I started the blog. Are any of the sub-genres like sci-fi, etc new to you because of m/m, Chris, or had you been dabbling in these when you were reading m/f?

PS – The anniversary isn’t until October so you have time. 🙂

• Chris says:

Oh, I’ve read nearly everything over the years – I was majorly into scifi and fantasy for a long time. I guess I’ve read a few more m/m historicals than I’d read m/f historicals, which isn’t saying much. 🙂

• Kris says:

*snerk* I cut my eye teeth on regency romance and then my tertiary education pretty much killed my interest in any kind of historical fiction.

“It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.”
          Albert Einstein

Yep.

2. ingrid2009 says:

I read m/m in 2008, well the second half of it. Strange how I remember that so clearly!
    If one thing has changed that I read more genres now inside the m/m. I wasn’t so big on contemp before but when I started reading m/m I read everything. So even things that I wouldn’t have before. Just because there was not that much around. That has of course changed a bit.
    I haven’t read yaoi in ages…

• Kris says:

I think that’s probably about when we first started to come into contact with each other, Ingrid. Pretty sure it was at Wave’s place. We’re practically ancient friends. 😛

So you think that you started reading sub-genres that you wouldn’t ordinarily have touched because there wasn’t as much m/m around 4 years ago? That’s a really interesting point. I hadn’t thought about that at all.

I reread my yaoi, and there are a number of graphic novels I follow online. You’ve also reminded me to have a look at The Emerald Palace and see if there are any new volumes in the series I keep. My credit card thanks you.

• ingrid2009 says:

Yeah, we met at Wave’s 🙂 Long time ago, end of 2008 early 2009.
        Also some oldie m/m writers do not stick to one genre, they do paranormal, contemp, sci-fi. Like Ally Blue, JL or Evangeline Anderson. So if you like the writing and the next books comes out, you buy it, it can be totally different then before.

• Kris says:

“So if you like the writing and the next books comes out, you buy it, it can be totally different then before.”

This is very true.

Also, I feel old now.

3. Four years ago I was reading a lot of classics, romances, and mysteries. I also went through the Erin Hunter phase for the Warriors saga. I look at this year’s taste in books and I see some classics, some mysteries, and an utter obsession with mythology related books, or mostly the ones that deal with the Norse pantheon. Still the year is only half over so who knows what type of books the next several months will see me engaged in.

• Kris says:

Firstly, I have to say I adore your name. It immediately conjured up images of a comfortable room filled with books with beautiful round windows… and now I’m green with envy. LOL

The Norse pantheon? A Thor fan or do you prefer bad boy Loki? 🙂

On a more serious note – well, as serious as I can get with only one cup of morning coffee under my belt – are you reading fiction or non-fiction or a bit of both?

On a semi-related note, one of my favourite discoveries of the year was the film ‘The 13th Warrior’. I have watched it countless times. As I type this, I’m saying “‘Lo, there do I see my Father…” I may be a wee bit obsessed.

• Oh, I prefer Loki, he’s so very good at being so very bad! (And Tom Hiddleston is a life ruiner…) I’ve been reading a bit of both.

I’ve seen that movie, but I can’t remember anything about it. It’s been so long and I only seen the film once.

• Kris says:

Totally with you on Tom H. I loved the way his Loki would look at Thor and you could see him thinking ‘Seriously, Thor?? Could you be more of a dumb arse blond.’ Classic. 😀

I think I was 2008 too. September. Oooooooh. Was there some alignment of the planets that year? And hey, when you find the platinum standard of pervosity, why go looking elsewhere. 🙂

I used to read a lot more shifter stories, but to be honest, there are a lot fewer of them these days. Seems to be mostly contemporaries which i liked too. I’m not enamoured with the chapter a month style of series some publishers have glommed onto though. I wish there were more mysteries with a romance sub-plot, even if it’s not as much in the forefront as the crime drama.

• Kris says:

“And hey, when you find the platinum standard of pervosity, why go looking elsewhere.”

*snort* This is true.

My loss of interest in reading – boo to mental illnesses – has meant I’ve missed the new serial approach to publishing some m/m stories. I’ve heard about it though. Has anyone asked why this is being done? It would be interesting to find out.

Oh, and hell yes, to more crime/mystery/thrillers with only a romance sub-plot. Dani Alexander needs to write more stuff, I say. 😀

So which am I again: An old dog or a sweet English rose? I’m laughing at the idea that I would be a dominatrix. the only leather items I own are shoes and a few bits of jewellry :).

I started my blog and m/m reading in 2008 too. Obviously a vintage year!

m/m reading has certainly broadened my reading in terms of genre. Like Ingrid, I didn’t read much in terms of contemporary romance before m/m.

No-one was more surprised than me that I liked these hard core non-con/BDSM books. I think it’s because I love books which feature characters in situations where they have no control and how they cope with that, retain their humanity and sense of self when everything is stripped from them. A BDSM scene out of context doesn’t really do much for me but if it shows the struggle, then I’m hooked :). I’m reading a book at the moment which has mixed reviews. People either think that it goes too far with the D/s dynamic or they love it. We shall see where I stand on that one when I get to the end. I also have a non-con anthology on my TBR pile. That will be interesting too, I think.

• Kris says:

Both?? 😛

Re: your reading of more contemporary romance – Do you think it might be, as Ingrid says, because m/m stories were published lees frequently in 2008?

“We shall see where I stand on that one when I get to the end.”

There speaketh the Dominatrix! LOL! I remember the first major article you wrote about BDSM and your POV at that time. Perhaps a revisit is warranted? I’d be intrigued to see more of your thoughts about this.

Happy almost 4-year anniversary 🙂 I hope we have a party on the actual day 🙂

Hmmm. Me? Started reading m/m. And I’ve started reading (and enjoying) BDSM. But it’s my latest discovery that has me…not questioning myself exactly, but…analysing why they work for me 🙂 I like m/m domestic discipline and/or D/s. Syn McGinley’s Dr Fell books are a good example.

@Jenre – I look forward to hearing about this latest book you’re reading 🙂

• Jenre says:

Did you read By His Rukes by JA Rock, Orianna? That was a slightly more angsty look at the domestic discipline life.

• Kris says:

I’d noticed you were reading the Dr Fell stories, Orannia. A number of readers hold this series up as being one of the best in terms of reflecting BDSM relationships. It also goes without saying your wee interest in Sean Michael’s work. 😉

When your comfortable, perhaps you might think about writing a post on the topic? This always helps me process things, but, of course, that doesn’t work for everyone.

7. I didn’t know mm existed in 2008 (I had read slash before, but it was mostly Buffy slash), so when I discovered a whole genre of gay romance available on Books on Board and Fictionwise, I about peed my pants. I’m pretty sure I spent close to $1000 in the first 6 months of discovering online ebook stores. When I first started buying stuff, I’d buy anything! I’ve become a bit fussier now and find it difficult to find stuff that really catches my interest.

I flit between sub-genres… if it’s a good book, it doesn’t even have to have naked cowboys in it for me to like it. I’ve grown so much as a reader. lol.

• Kris says:

“I’ve grown so much as a reader. lol.”

Sure you have. You’ve become almost as pervy as Tam. Well, not really. No one can be held up to such heights. 😛

I flinch now at how much I spent on ebooks when I first discovered them. I went a little crazy at the instant gratification afforded (?is that the right word?) by them. Like you, I reigned it in. One has to feed the boy kittehs, after all. LOL.

Do you still read much m/f, Nic? Or are you mainly an m/m reader now?

• I can only hope to aspire to such heights of perviness. We all have to have goals.

Let’s never discuss how much we spent on books… And also, let’s never discuss the amount of crap I paid money for either. Let’s just pretend it never happened.

I read m/f occasionally, but i can’t tolerate damsels in distress. So that rules out quite a bit. I love Shelly Laurenston and Jeaniene Frost because they’re characters are so strong in personality (and not always perfect). Rebecca Royce is growing on me too.

Wow 4 years. That’s awesome! I don’t think my reading has changed. Still in the m/f historical, paranormal, contemporary reading as well as m/m paranormal and contemporary reads. I just wish I had more time to read!!!

9. DarienMoya says:

I started reading M/M and Yaoi in 2009 and I haven’t stopped since. I find it hard to read all my m/f romance now unless it’s a series I own and love. Like Jen I’m loving the hc BDSM they make me lose my pants. I just love all that discipline *could be cus I have none of my own*.

I was obsessed with m/f historicals *fecking obsessed* I own like hundreds and so wanted to be the blushing virgin getting my skirts fluffed by a dashing rake =_= wtf was I thinking? I was young, don’t freaking judge me. So I don’t know how my reading taste will change in the next few years, I might read m/m less or I might just start reading less all together. I’m kind of excited to see.

• Kris says:

“I just love all that discipline *could be cus I have none of my own*.”

Well, well, well. The things you learn… 😛

“… so wanted to be the blushing virgin getting my skirts fluffed by a dashing rake…”

LOL! You weren’t the only one. Then I remembered they didn’t have tampons. The end.

I think being excited about what’s around the next corner is an awesome attitude; for reading and for life. And you’ve just inspired a follow up post on this topic. Thanks. 🙂

10. ingrid2009 says:

pssst Kris, did you see?? Jen did it again! It’s a bit like “to boldly go where no one has gone before”