a tasting smorgasbord

This past weekend I made a major dent in the tbr pile (check out my recent reads on the left sidebar) and I thought I’d share some thoughts about a few of those that were my stand outs. Here they are (in no particular order):

David’s Dilemma by Lynn Lorenz

Why I bought it: It was a pressie.

Mini-chomp:

Dislike~ I’m not sure what others thought, but from early on I could pretty much see what was coming in terms of the climax. I’m honest enough to admit it did affect my enjoyment of the book; however, overall it was relatively minor.

Like~ One of my things at the moment is a great interest – respect even – for m/m romance books which are different to the norm. In this case, it was refreshing to read a book featuring two older protags meeting and connecting as well as the realities of caring for someone with Alzheimer’s.

So, what I think: A must for fans of this author and recommended for those who, like me, are interested in stories that are a bit different.

A Dream Come True by Addison Albright

Why I bought it: I’m pretty sure I bought this after reading a review by Emmy.

Mini-chomp:

Dislike~ I prefer the build up to a sexual relationship so I can be a bit tetchy about ones where the guys fall into bed pretty quickly. Having said this, I did think it formed part of the story insomuch that both protags, especially Mike, come to the realisation that what they have is something more than just convenient sex.

Like~ This was a good, solid romantic read with some terrific characters. I think one of the main reasons why I liked it so much was that it seemed so ‘real’. No serial killers or stalkers, but lots of simple, day-to-day life circumstances. It was great.

So, what I think: This was a new to me author and someone I will definitely be trying again.

St Nacho’s 2: Physical Therapy by Z A Maxfield

Why I bought it: ZAM = auto buy.

Mini-chomp:

Dislike~ I’m pretty sure this is a me thing, but I’m getting a little tired of the interfering family member and/or friend. I’m not saying it wasn’t relevant to the story or that it didn’t help to progress the plot or anything in Physical Therapy. It’s just that I’m beginning to find it a little too stock standard in m/m romance. Maybe it’s me though…

Like~ One of the protags, Jordan, was introduced to the reader in St Nacho’s (the first book in the series). I thoroughly enjoyed revisiting him and seeing how he had grown as a character – redeemed himself, I guess – in the intervening period. In all honesty, I think this was my favourite aspect of the story.

So, what I think: Whilst I preferred St Nacho’s, I’m definitely loving this series. An absolute must for fans of ZAM and for those who are thinking about giving this author a try.

===============================================

‘Tasting’ is my version of a mini-review where I talk a (very) little about what I liked and disliked about a book as well as who I think the story will appeal to. Oh, and I’ve added a bit about why I picked up the book in the first place – sometimes this can be interesting to know.

This entry was posted in Addison Albright, Lynn Lorenz, m/m, tasting, Z A Maxfield. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to a tasting smorgasbord

Agree, agree, agree. Huh. Fancy that. LOL

My only complaint about the second book was those boys cooked and cleaned more than anyone I know, straight or gay. I need to get me a man like that because I sure as hell ain't doing it.

I enjoyed all three though and haven't read anything by those authors that I haven't enjoyed. Obviously some more than others, but no stinkers.

How strange that we agree, Tam. *snort*

Those boys did like to cook and clean, didn't they? Since I've complained in the past about books where characters don't eat, go to the toilet, etc, I think it would be slightly odd if I bitched about there being too much of it in a story. LOL.

U need a house boy. Someone who flits about with a duster and itty bitty lycra shorts.

No out and out stinkers for me either, btw.

3. Sean Kennedy says:

Re: interfering friends.

Erm, don't read my short story in the DSP June anthology then.

Too late! ROFL.

They weren't really interfering Sean, more annoying. LOL

Actually when I read your story I thought of this piece written by an on-line friend of mine. http://www.bangordailynews.com/detail/108372.html Your story really seemed to connect me with what he wrote.

I agree, Tam. Your story, Sean, was more the friendly and teasing kind of annoying as opposed to the 'I'm going to interfere because you obviously can't live, have sex, find a good boyfriend, etc, etc without my assistance' approach.

Good tastes. Be nice to Sean.

I thought I was being nice to Sean… for a change. No? Oh well, I'll stop trying then.

I think I liked both David's Dilemma and St Nacho's 2 more than you. Both were pretty terrific reads.

I haven't read any Addison Albright books but that one sounds interesting. Sometimes I don't mind if the heroes jump into bed straight away as long as the rest of the book is an emotional journey.

I thought they were pretty good too, Jen. *I think I srsly need to work on my tone.*

The Addison Albright is definitely a journey of the developing r/ship between the protags. I would recommend it.

11. Emmy directed me to your blog. 🙂 I just wanted to stop by and say I'm glad you liked my story. Thank you for your comments!

Hey Addison. Thanks for dropping in. 🙂

I enjoyed “A Dream Come True” very much, especially your characters. I'm a major 3D character whore so good characterisation always makes me sit up and take notice. Great stuff. *g*

13. *takes the '3D character' part out of that last comment and leaves the rest of the sentence intact*

Thank you Kris! I like your tasters 🙂 Although you're not helping me by introducing all these tempting morsels *grin*

Sure I'm helping… helping you spend your hard-earneds that is. 😉