very important poll which could affect the rest of your life

Okay, that may be a wee bit of an exaggeration*.

It got your attention, though, right.

The end.

Anyhoo…

I was having a ‘discussion’** with a friend yesterday about the latest wankfest to come to light in the m/m romance community***.

‘He’**** and I agreed it was absolutely fine and dandy for an author to have a pseud; however, our opinions differed about how many names someone should write under, particularly if it was in the same genre and/or sub-genre.

‘He’ thought more than one was just pretentious and could cast doubt upon an author’s reputation*****.

Whereas I reckon three pseuds seems to be a nice round number.

But what do you think?  Do you agree with my friend******?  Or do you have some other figure in mind?

======

* Okay, a lie.  Let’s put it this way… do you really want to go on my shit list??  Yeah, didn’t think so.  Answer the damned poll.

** The quotation marks mean it was somewhat heated.

*** Like anyone is shocked.  *rolls eyes*

**** You can just never be too sure these days.

***** Actually that wasn’t what ‘he’ said, but let’s be civil, shall we.

****** So there wasn’t any friend.  I bet it made you wonder who I was talking about though.*******

******* Also, I didn’t want anyone to think I was having conversations with myself, especially arguments********.  I’m not that crazy.

******** I won, btw.

This entry was posted in authors, serious shit, very important poll. Bookmark the permalink.

75 Responses to very important poll which could affect the rest of your life

1. Alaina says:

OK, wait– so T.A. Chase if for sure a woman? When did this outing happen? I need to start following even more blogs, dammit!

I don't mind the gender thing so much, especially with authors who've been around awhile. When they started it was harder to sell openly as a woman. I find it weird that I do still want to know, though. I mean, as long as they write a good story it shouldn't matter what the author's gender is, but I still want to know. Stupid, really.

2. Harry Wankerman says:

I'm enjoying the conversation, even the parts that are full of “doo.”

JJ: Woo hoo! 🙂

KZ: “However, that doesn't mean the authors they're defending are encouraging their behavior. Or actually ARE those monkeys.”

And that's exactly it. A more than sneaking suspicion abounds that pseuds have been created specifically for the purposes of rabid fandom.

“I guess what I'm saying is, the nature of an author's name isn't a valid indicator of that author's gender or orientation — or level of honesty.”

All my beliefs… destroyed… in one Snowy avalanche.

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

I kill me. *wipes tear from eye*

Maisy: Okay, how much did Sean pay you?

WAIT!

*squinty eyes*

There's something mighty suspicious going on here…

Eyre: Don't encourage him.

Castanet: Go to hell, you crazy Spanish lady.

Alaina: TA told everyone on one of Wave's posts at the end of last year.

I don't give a toss about gender either as long as an author doesn't try and misrepresent their sexuality.

Harry: Aw, thanks, mate.

BTW, that's a very interesting surname. What are the origins of it?

4. Silky Boxers says:

Castanet is a doo expert, I hear.

5. Alaina says:

Ah– that's the problem with intermittent blog reading!

Yeah, misrepresenting your sexuality is a no no. But I think for some people it depends on how you define sexuality. I get really irritated when I read books about bdsm by authors who don't practice it and who don't really know anything about it. But I think a lot of folks wouldn't consider that a misrepresentation, even though I would.

6. Harry Wankerman says:

My family is of Austrian decent. My grandfather came to the U.S. from Fucking, Austria.

7. Alaina says:

Oh, and btw, Kris, you have a long way to go before you can truly pull off obsessed fan– sorry to burst your bubble there!

Silky Boxers: Castanet thinks she's an expert on everything.

Nuff said.

Alaina: “But I think for some people it depends on how you define sexuality.”

Yeah. What gets me are those few authors who aren't genuine but pretending to be gay men, etc to make their work more marketable. That's crap in today's context.

Harry: How proud you must be.

Alaina: Meaniehead! *poutmope*

10. Niedme A. Hummer (from Finland) says:

Castanet thinks she's an expert on everything.

She is a goddess.

11. Kaetrin says:

what Jason said.

Niedme A. Hummer (from Finland): Does goddess mean something different over there cos otherwise… no.

Katerin: Like there was any doubt that you loved me.

…do you really want to go on my shit list??

Absolutely not! In fact, any hints you could give me so I don't end up on that list would be greatly appreciated!

Now, to your question…I think different pseudonyms for different genres, not a problem. Different pseudonyms within the same genre? Well, if the author is writing distinct subgenres, then I guess… I just can't really see why. I would hope that an author would give me the benefit of some intelligence to differentiate between the subgenres…

14. I don't care if writers want to use different identities for different genres, but I'd rather they were upfront about it and made it clear somewhere on their blog/website (preferably not hidden away like a bloody easter egg).

That said, I've no idea how anyone can keep track of that many different identities. I don't have the energy to fake one which is why I'm myself (minus the boring real life stuff and using the middle name rather than the first – oh, and a made up surname because my own is fairly unusual).

Ummm, what was the poll again?

15. Lilli says:

Imo, one pseud is fine. So are two if it's about different genres (m/m to ya/children, e.g.).

16. Mariana says:

I don't believe it's a secret… I was thinking of Jayne Ann Krentz, who is also Stephanie James and Amanda Quick. There's La Nora who is JD Robb; and a couple of others, but that's who I'm thinking of. Ann Aguirre is also writing under a couple of different names. They aren't necessarily hiding it, but it just struck me as similar. Elizabeth Lowell also has a couple of pseuds… she wrote with her husband as AE Maxwell and as Ann Maxwell.

I must say that these women aren't acting crazy on blogland, that I know of. They all seem quite intelligent in their interactions with fans, so I'm NOT comparing them to anyone. Just FYI if I get any shit 🙂

Orannia: “I would hope that an author would give me the benefit of some intelligence to differentiate between the subgenres…”

Nicely put. I totally agree.

Joesphine: “In short – sockpuppets suck. As does attacking reviewers (or calling in your ex-fandom friends to do it for you).”

Yup. It's stupid and, as someone else said, has the opposite reaction of what was intended by putting you off the author totally.

Lilli: “An author's name is his brand and thus an important marketing tool. So why dilute its value with creating more than one pseud within a genre?”

That is an excellent point. The only reason that I can see for it is if the author fucked up under their first pseud and needed to escape the drama associated with it.

Mariana: Oh, them. 😉 Didn't the different pseuds of La Nora and others have something to do with publishing under Mills & Boon and Loveswept and then basically being legally forced to have 'new' names for another publisher?? I vaguely recall reading that somewhere.

18. Angelia says:

The whole point of having a pseudonym is to keep my identities separate. I write children's religious books and m/m romance and my latest contract is for a basic horror novel.

All my adult fiction goes under my name. The children's goes under my pseudonym.

I really can't see a small press author having more than one extra name. One friend uses her real name for horror/sf/f and a pseud for the smut, in an effort to get conventions to quit putting her on the 11 PM sex panel.

One for each genre would get confusing. And I expect it doesn't build readership so much as divide it.

Angelia: Having different pseuds for such disparate work is totally understandable, but having a number for the same sub/genre is indeed confusing and, to be perfectly frank, has the affect of bringing the author themselves under suspicion.

“I really can't see a small press author having more than one extra name.”

The thing is they do, hence the topic of this post being rehashed again and again (including by me) within the m/m community.

20. Kassa says:

Indeed. I still think the same way I did back when I did this post: http://kassa011.wordpress.com/2009/10/07/pen-names-evil-or-necessary/

It's fine if you're identifying with another genre but when authors use it in nefarious ways to hide from readers. No thanks.

Kassa: “… but when authors use it in nefarious ways to hide from readers. No thanks.”

Word. Plus it gives the reader the impression they are being tricked somehow. No one likes to feel that way. It will just cause more harm then good in the long rung.

And I always seem to copy you. I'm such a bitch stealer. *hangs head*

22. airi71 says:

I think an author shouldn't have more than one pen name per genre (m/m, m/f, YA).
    And using a fake name to dis a reviewer is appalling to me. How an author acts in 'public' is a factor for me as to whether or not I'll buy their books.

airi71: “How an author acts in 'public' is a factor for me as to whether or not I'll buy their books.”

For me too. There are several authors I either no longer buy or have never bought because of bad author behaviour. Not good.

24. PD Singer says:

Pam<----note fem name

“Does this mean I should abandon plans to write medical thrillers as Anna Phylaxis?”

Well, most people did say that having another pseud for a different genre was okay so I guess it would be up to you as long as you don't get too formulaic.

BTW, I so don't believe your name is Pam. I heard it stood for Puff Daddy… hence the surname. 😛