end-of-year bandwagon wrap-ups #4

Yeah, I’m bouncing around all over the place with this end-of-year wrap-up crap, but welcome to my brain… which appears to be even more random than usual.

Who knew that was possible.

It’s mind boggling.

Literally.

But onward to the wrap-up!

Let’s go beyond the bookity faves and look at what other stuff we’ve all found in 2011.

Oh, and it has to be in the form of a list because it is unnatural to do otherwise.

Also, it has to be an even number.

Which has nothing to do with my OCD.

*cough*

So, here we go!

The 2011 ‘We Think They’re Just Tops’ 10

1. Bookity (Look, we have to. I am a reader’s blog.  Apparently.).  Mine: As always, there can be only one.  My god… *hand to heart* Sir Terry Pratchett.

2. Online thing.  Mine: Tumblr!

3. TV/Film. Mine: The Killing (freaking awesome crime series from Denmark), Manuel and Lalo from Botineras and The Kiss!  Blaine.  â¤

4.  Music.  Mine: Adele. My girlfriend. *dreamy sigh*

5.  Event (Personal).  Mine: My new tattoos and my trip to the US and catching up with old and new mates. 🙂

6. Event (World).  Mine: NYC’s saying yes to gay marriage, The Royal Wedding (being a Republican so doesn’t count at such times) and Australian Labor’s vote to change it’s platform on marriage equality (one can but hope).

7.  Discovery.  Mine: Becoming aware and increasing my understanding about the trans* and genderfluid communities, Mindfullness and Andrej Pejic… if you hadn’t already guessed. ;P

8.  Controversy.  Mine:  Well, mine. Obviously.

9. Word.  Mine:  Douchecopter.

10. Achievement.  Mine:  Surviving the year with the help of my family and a lot of friends whom I love with all my heart and are so very grateful for.

Your turn.

Share your 2011 faves in the comments so we can pick on ’em and stuff.  ðŸ˜‰

This entry was posted in awesomeness, best of 2011, best ofs, extra further randomness, reading, serious randomness. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to end-of-year bandwagon wrap-ups #4

I suck at these kind of lists but I'll try.

1. I'm going to go with Jordan Castillo Price, not only for her own writing but for the Petit Morts series that was such a treat.

2. I'm going with Cocky and Rude, we have had some fun times with the gang over there now that Puntabulous has gone dark.

3. Wow. Ummm. I don't know. I don't watch anything regularly. I still love Mythbusters. LOL

4. I'm not really a music person. If I say concerts I'd say Katy Perry, fun time.

5. New Orleans and New York and Chicago. All amazing times.

6. NYC marriage vote as well, the whole economic crisis world-wide which if not for my job I likely wouldn't be as aware of, but I am. The scariness that is the Republican presidential candidates in the US. *shudder*

7. Red Velvet Cake ice-cream. Tumblr.

8. Yeah, that one.

9. No clue. Craptastic is a good word.

10. Getting published and actually paid for it. (Hahahaha! Pack of gum anyone?) Also getting a new job that I actually enjoy for the most part.

2. Mariana says:

1. Bookity: Love Shelly Laurenston… she just keeps hitting the right spot for me. Also Ginn Hale for a kick-ass series that was Rifter 🙂

2. Online thing: etsy.com… even if I can't buy everything I want, it has some fabulous items.

3. TV/Film: Colombiana, because Zoe Saldana is awesome. Hanna, because Eric Bana is awesome and X Men First Class… because I love me some X-Men 🙂

4. Music. Adele… there is no one like her. Amy Winehouse… that was a talent wasted.

5. Event (Personal): I purchased my own apartment 🙂 I'm poor as shit now, but I have my own home!

6. Event (World): Marriage equality in NYC 🙂 Troops coming home from Iraq.

7. Discovery: I REALLY don't like kids. Even my kiddies are becoming a pain.

8. Controversy: Can't really think of one….

9. Word: Fuck… there is no better word.

10. Achievement: Not killing someone… there really is a ball of rage in my gut, just waiting for that perfect someone. Thankfully, I've been able to hold myself back the times that it's been in danger of being let go.

We'll see what I remember of the year…

1. Bookity. It's a toss up between JCP's PsyCop series and M. Chandler's The Shadow of the Templar series.

2. Online thing. Tumblr or Goodreads.

3. TV/Film. Um. All I watched this year was True Blood, so I guess it wins be default. (I'm serious. No movies or anything.)

4. Music. Mumford & Sons. LOVE.

5. Event (Personal). Trip to NOLA and getting my kitty tattoo.

6. Event (World). Like Tam, the US Republican Presidential candidates scare the hell out of me. More positively, New York's marriage vote.

7. Discovery. Skinny Crisps Gluten-Free & Low Carb Brownie Crisps.

8. Controversy. Ditto.

9. Word. How about a phrase? I'm pleased to have infiltrated my workplace with “I haz a sad” and “I haz a happy”. 😀

10. Achievement. Surviving is good. I WAS proud of getting back into an exercise routine… only that's gone to hell in the last few months. Oh! Having a coworker I actually like tell me he thought I was the only actually indispensable person in the place.

Tam: “Getting published and actually paid for it.”

This is truly an awesome achievement, Tam, and, as I've said to you before, I'm so fucking proud of you for taking that step. (((HUGS)))

“Red Velvet Cake ice-cream.”

O.O Where?? *shirt fronts* WHERE?!

Mariana: “I purchased my own apartment 🙂 I'm poor as shit now, but I have my own home!”

Holy shit, Mariana! Congrats to you! That's such a huge and cool step, not too mention intensely satisfying as I know myself. 🙂

” … … there really is a ball of rage in my gut, just waiting for that perfect someone… “

Yes. I have that too and, as a matter of fact, was talking to my psychologist about how to deal with that today. She's recommended that I intensify my Mindfullness meditation training to incorporated dealing with my rage. I hope it works because sometimes I feel like I'm choking on it. *sigh*

Chris: “Mumford & Sons.”

They are very cool. :DDD

“… the US Republican Presidential candidates scare the hell out of me.”

It's unanimous cos they scare the hell out of me too.

“I'm pleased to have infiltrated my workplace with “I haz a sad” and “I haz a happy”. :D”

LOL! Nice one.

I'm going to be even more random. (Is it possible?)

Yes, Andrej Pejic — oh my! He is obscenely beautiful.

The most incredible book I discovered this past year was The Brothers Bishop. I just wish the author, Bart Yates, was a tad more prolific. My fondness and appreciation for YA fiction really blossomed, too.

I love the blogs by Thorny and by Matt and Brad — so refreshingly sweet and candid and ingenuous. If only all GLBTQ youth could be as comfortable and happy in their relationships as these young men …

I find the two TV shows about hoarders weirdly fascinating.

I realize how much I've come to hate politics and politicians.

As usual, don't have any achievements to list.

That's all I have the patience for at the moment. Gotta go write.

Merry Christmas!

KZ: “I'm going to be even more random. (Is it possible?)”

“Yes, Andrej Pejic — oh my! He is obscenely beautiful.”

Yes, ze is. Check out this photo: http://andrejpejicpage.tumblr.com/post/12890995930/andrej-pejic-out-december-january-11-12-the

Curiosity had me going to check out 'The Brother's Bishop' and… wow. I'll definitely be checking that one out. Thanks for the rec, KZ!

Oh, and a Merry Krismas to you too. 🙂

Kris, doesn't The Prettiest of Pretties live in Oz now? When he's not doing photo shoots, that is.

And isn't he an avowedly gay man-boy who's just workin' it? (I thought I'd read that somewhere.) Or is he bi or inter or at some other point along the spectrum? God forbid I should fuck up my pronouns!

Btw, your link doesn't work. 😦

1. Megan Derr I think
    2. I don't do so much online anymore, just trolling around old stuff, so I guess tumblr is a good choice.
    3. Topchef, a cookity competition
    4. new music?? I am playing music that is on my computer for years already. Am I getting old?? One 'new' thing is listened to is the Misere by Allegri.
    5. New job
    6. Japan, those images of the wave sweeping over the country …
    7. there is nice work
    8. No clue, the AJ fail?
    9. Apparantly the word of the year (Dutch) is “tuigdorp”, personally I hadn't heard of it
    10. Survive financially

KZ: Yeah, he's been in Oz from an early age. Comes from Melbourne.

He's never really identified as anything else but genderfluid. The rest is really speculation.

Ingrid: You've done amazing things this year, especially in terms of your work and independence. That's just awesome. :DDD

“Japan, those images of the wave sweeping over the country …”

Yes. Mother nature at her most terrifying.

Ben & Jerry's has Red Velvet Cake (we found that in Chicago) and so does some local brand here. It was pretty good too. So scour your freezer section, seems to be the “in” flavour these days.

11. Natasha says:

1. Havent found an auto buy this year. They are all starting to read the same 😦

2. Must check… teahouse! It's all Kris' fault!

3. Rugby world cup

4. The Misfits 1950's can't remember the whole album title it's that old LOL!

5. Taking the kids out of school and home schooling…. Reminds me how dumb I am and how smart they are.

6. Japanese tsunami.

7. Discovering I still have a voice and I'm not afraid to use it 🙂

8. People who use a minority for profit and so they can save their own arse! In doing so cause a great deal of hurt to my friends…. That bitch is gonna get what's coming!

9. Word…. I've learnt to say the eff word out loud. Oooooh!

10. Being with the same person for 21 years and not killing him :-). (much)

Tish

Tam: We get some Ben & Jerry's stuff here so I'll go hunting and gathering. It's a good cause after all. *yum*

Tish: “… teahouse! It's all Kris' fault!”

Don't blame me for your lack of resistance! ;P

“Taking the kids out of school and home schooling…. Reminds me how dumb I am and how smart they are.”

It reminds me of telling you what a brave and awesome step this was – to make sure your kids have a future. And that's certainly not dumb.

13. ElaineG says:

I love lists, I have lists of lists I wanna make *snort*
    1. Books (author) Amy Lane…hooked I tellya, hooked!

2.Online thingy: Stumbleupon (for an insomniac, JUST the thing!)

3.TV: Hawaii FREAKING Five-OH! Only thing sides baseball I watched ALL year. delicious!

4.Music: Joan Jett cause she rocks, she looks AMA-ZING and I am old school. And it's possible I have a SLIGHT crush *winks*

5. Event (mine): Finding old friends and reconnecting, life is too short not to embrace the love you know?

6. Event (world) Yeesh, the only thing I can think of is the use of the internet to help others: help stop bullying, love is love no matter WHO you fall in love with…Im not saying this right, I give up 😦

7. Discovery: beauty is not what OTHERS define, it's what I define for myself…40 plus years to figure that one out people…..but at least I really love me and I don't care what others say I should look like or say or do or BE.

8. Controversy: I dunno???

9. Word: Assload I freaking LOVE that word, use it WAY too often but really, how many words can make you smile even when you are describing something totally shitty?

10.Achievement: I am helping to raise an open-minded, caring, brilliant, funny, sarcastic person that will one day NOT blame me for everything wrong in his life….he told me so himself, and he is nine, I totally believe him *winks*

Elaine: “Yeesh, the only thing I can think of is the use of the internet to help others: help stop bullying, love is love no matter WHO you fall in love with…Im not saying this right, I give up :(“

I understand. Those who use the internet to take a stand and/or fight bigotry. Just like the It Get's Better project. It is doing truly wonderful things about raising awareness. As is the FKH8 project.

“I am helping to raise an open-minded, caring, brilliant, funny, sarcastic person that will one day NOT blame me for everything wrong in his life….he told me so himself, and he is nine, I totally believe him *winks* “

LOL. He sounds awesome. Congratulations and keep up the good work. :DDD

Late to the party, again. Sorry! Here we go…

1. Bookity. Lots of fantasy reads this year. I loved Ginn Hale's Rifter serialisation especially.

2. Online thing. Goodreads for me as long as I stay out of the groups.

3. TV/Film. A friend of mine loaned me the box set of the first 4 seasons of The Big Bang Theory, and I've pretty much fallen in love with Sheldon. I don't go to the cinema much these days unless it's to take the kids to a film. In fact I think the only film that could be anywhere considered for grown ups was the most recent Harry Potter film. I need to get out more!

4. Music. Fleet Foxes. Their songs are sooooooo catchy. I also second Chris' Mumford and Sons.

5. Event (Personal). I lead a sad and very boring life. The highlight for me was a family trip to Centerparcs which would have been ideal were it not for the amount of time I had to spend in the pool. Swimming costumes and me do not go well together. Plus I don't think I've seen quite so many large hairy-bellied men in my life as were in that pool.

6. Event (World). The world economy depresses me but I've been heartened by a revival of people who want to actually make a stand and protest about this rather than shrug their shoulders.

7. Discovery. Nothing new, unless you count my addiction to Wotsits.

8. Controversy. uh, huh.

9. Word. My kids use the word noob all the time as a form of insult. Also my eldest son has started substituting the word cheese for God because he knows we don't use the OMG phrase in my house – oh my cheese. It makes me laugh.

10. Achievement. I've not achieved a right lot this year. It's been a rather pitiful year overall with me just plodding on through life. The highlight for me was getting a story published in an actual book. It's there on the page and I can read it!

Jen: At least, we'll know what you mean when you start typing 'OMC!' all the time. LOL.

I think getting a story published is a huge achievement, Jen. It's pretty damned terrific and, like Tam, you should be proud of yourself.

“It's rather sad to say that getting more than 100 followers at my blog gave me a sense of achievement, but it's true.”

Oh, bullshit. It's an indication of how well respected you and your blog are and that's definitely saying something when it comes to the m/m community.

I'll have to come back to this but….great list! I *heart* Andrej!

Orannia: Word.

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

w