end-of-year bandwagon wrap-ups #5

Swag.

The idea of getting goodies from your fave authors brings out the squee in the majority of readers.

Anyone who says otherwise is lying.  Just sayin’.

However, after that initial burst of giddiness, a number of us realise we are stuck with a whole heap of useless shit which will end up going to swag heaven.

Anyone who says otherwise is lying.  Just sayin’.

There also appears to be an echo in here.

Heh.

So what is it that ends up making it to the final round of ‘stuff I’ll make room for in my luggage’??

For me it’s two things… pens and post-its.

Pens because you can never have enough of those bloody things, especially when you have a habit of breaking them.  *mutterfuckersmutter*

My go-to swag pen is a T. C. Blue one.  For some reason it always comes to my hand whenever I reach in the drawer for a pen.

*whispers* I think it might be possessed.

Post-its because I have an obsession.  It is true. I have a deep abiding love for which there is no cure.  I would marry post-its if I could.  Kid you not.

The extent of my post-it lust??  Well, after everyone had left the GRL goodbye breakfast, I may have gone around all the tables taking the post-it pads given out by Resplendence Publishing.

Or it could have been another freckle-faced Aussie…

*cough*

Are you a fan of swag?  If so, what was your fave goodie in 2011?

This entry was posted in authors, best of 2011, best ofs, extra further randomness, serious randomness. Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to end-of-year bandwagon wrap-ups #5

That little LED keychain flashlight from PD Singer was perfectly timed for the light going out in the trunk of my car. πŸ™‚

I have that little keychain flashlight on my keys as well. Pens, definitely. Kristen likes the Carol Lynn pen because it lights up and she uses it when reviewing plays because it's dark and she can see what she's writing. πŸ™‚ Although I lose pens like mad, I have a purple Clare London pen that seems to find it's way back to my purse no matter what. I've had it for months.

Mugs make good pen/pencil holders. Heavy though when you have to transport stuff.

Yeah, it all seems great at the time and then … It sits in a bowl under the coffee table until I get rid of it somehow.

Chris: Very handy indeed. πŸ™‚

Tam: LOL. I'm glad Kristen is enjoying the Carol Lynn pen.

I have a purple Clare London pen too. That often finds it's way into my hand as well. Maybe pens can really be possessed??

4. Loveless3173 says:

Heh.. I also got a LED flashlight from Joyee Flynn. xD really love it.

Oh, and I really like the postcard books covers. :3 very pretty.

5. heidenkind says:

I love bookmark swag. You can never have too many bookmarks! Pens and post-its are pretty cool, too.

6. ElaineG says:

I got my FIRST swag(s) this year, the coolest flashlight from Joyee Flynn. LOVE bookmarks. Got trading cards from BA Tortuga and Sean Michael (HAWT!!!!), and just the right size to put in my purse and sneak peeks at *grins*

*pout*

I wanna pen, gotta save the pennies and make it to a Gay-Rom-Lit I guess lol!

Definitely pens and post its. However, the pens have to be decent or they drop to bits in no time. My TEB and Cassidy Ryan pens write really well and are sturdy, as does my Clare London pen. I have to say though that pens are only a good idea if they don't advertise too blatantly that the authors write books about sex. I keep the pens in my handbag and have to be very careful when people ask if they can borrow a pen! Discussing a suggestive tag line on a pen is not something I wish to do with my Gran or the Vicar's wife :).

I also like lip balm. It's a practical gift that I can use and it won't use up tons of drawer space like postcards etc.

Victoria Blisse gave away home made bath bombs at UK Meet. I thought that was a great idea, and another practical gift.

Holy Shit! How many of you got flashlights?! One wonders how many dark holes will be looked into with these.

Oh, yeah. I went THERE. πŸ˜›

Loveless: I think postcards are great too. I actually mailed a whole heap of the ones that I got at GRL in the hopes of inflicting a maximum level of embarrassment. πŸ˜‰

Heidenkind: Let me guess… You're one of those people who refuse to even talk to those reader who turn the page corners down, right? LOL.

I agree, though, you can never have too many bookmarks. I collect them so that I can use them in my research texts instead of using post-its. Post-its are far too awesome to be wasted on work things.

Elaine: “… and just the right size to put in my purse and sneak peeks at *grins*”

Perve. πŸ˜› If you're really really nice to me, I might just send you a couple of pens.

Oh, and I have to be feeling nice too.

It might take a while.

Jen: “Discussing a suggestive tag line on a pen is not something I wish to do with my Gran or the Vicar's wife :).”

*snort* I can just imagine.

I like the lip balms too. I have a couple planted around the place. Good call, Jen. πŸ™‚

10. Natasha says:

I write with a fountain pen and occasionally a dipping pen so those are the things I panic about when they disappear. My journal is written using a dipping pen with purple ink…. Oh and purple ink. Cant live without that. Oh and my journal which was a gift from my hubby… It looks like Merlins spell book with metal catches and corners and weighs more that my youngest. Also like Miss OCD I can't live without post it's. But mine have to have a piccie on them. Like butterflies or animals. I did get some Teahouse ones which are brill! So basically I travel with half my house.
    As for swag… I get whatever kris sends me. Which I must admit raises eyebrows with my kids. They want to meet Auntie Kris coz she sends mum cool stuff and piccies of naked men… Which is just eewwww!

Tish

I forgot magnets. I like fridge magnets and have quite a few of them on my fridge. But I can see where depending on the person they might not like to have naked man titty on the fridge and have to explain to their kids or in-laws why. However since I have a poster on my living room wall with the lovely title “An Uncommon WHORE” with two guys touching, I think a fridge magnet is pretty much a non-issue at this point. LOL Bad mommy. Bad mommy.

Oh, fridge magnets – love!

Tish: “Also like Miss OCD I can't live without post it's.”

To whom are you referring?? Also…

\WHY DID YOU NOT TELL ME THAT THERE WERE TEAHOUSE POST-ITS?! I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU!!

*ahem*

“I did get a beautiful sunset fridge magnet that makes me happy everytime I go looking for my secret stash of cherry ripes.”

Cool. :DDD

“They want to meet Auntie Kris coz she sends mum cool stuff and piccies of naked men…”

LOL! Tell the girls that if all goes to plan I hope to meet them next year some time.

Tam: LOL. You're so not a bad mum. What you're doing is bringing up a totally open-minded daughter and that's an awesome thing in this world of ours.

“I think authors just have to find a way to get their point across, m/m romance, without resorting to “two cocks are better than one” or something like that as their tag-line.”

Remember the bag that Kassa got on the boat? Fucking hilarious.

Tam & Chris: Fridge magnets rock. πŸ™‚

14. ElaineG says:

Ahem, just wondering!

Your Humble Minion,
    ElaineG (*winks*) LMAO

Elaine: “Would it help my cause to re-swear my fealty and bow down to your awesomeness???”

Not really. πŸ˜›

16. Natasha says:

Oh sweetie darling,
    I am so obsessed with Teahouse I have post it' s (4 packs) keyrings, special edition 1 & 2, prints and an original 3 panel signed by the artist. As well as buttons, recipe cards, stickers and when they reopen the shop I plan on shopping for more.

Tish

Tish: I'm so going shopping for post-its when the shop reopens next year.

I have sticky notes shaped like the one-finger salute. πŸ™‚

19. Angelia says:

I love pens. PD Singer's flashlight has routed more freight properly in the last 2 months than I want to think about (the trailer lights don't always work and 4 AM is DARK)

Someone at GRL gave us an eyeglass cleaning cloth and I LOVE it. Works on my glasses, works on my iphone.

The pecker checker tape measure actually came in handy when I went thrift shopping with the kids. I palmed the case, and used the tape measure to compare their waists to those of the pants.

Chris: And do you use them at work??

LOL! I do not. πŸ™‚

Angelia: Oh! Yes, I LOVE that eyeglasses cleaning cloth – it's perfect. It was Xara X. Xanaka.

Now the question is, from the author's viewpoint, has this stuff made any difference whatsoever in your book-buying or reviewing habits? These are, you know, supposed to be promotional items.

Hmmm?

I thought so. Shame on you. You should give all that shit back. Or send it to me. πŸ™‚

Pens because you can never have enough of those bloody things…

Amen!

Post-its because I have an obsession.

I am seriously beginning to wonder whether we were separated at birth. I love post-its! They are the BEST!

Can I add fridge magents – we all know who started me on that now, don't we? Hmmmm. And…postcards! I am the proud owner of two postcards, sent to me by the lovely Chris, of Ginn Hale's Wicked Gentlemen and LOTWH. I have had them laminated and they travel with me in my diary. And is anyone interested in the fact that Ginn is writing another book set in the LOTWH world!!!!! *happy dancing*

Angelia ( & Chris) : I have that cleaning cloth too! Now if I can only remember where I stashed it… LOL

Chris: Well, you're no fun. πŸ˜‰

KZ: “So do you look at your pens and penlights and post-its and think, Well, son of a gun, I need to gobble up Penny Hope's whole backlist and buy her new book and vote for her in the latest popularity contest and routinely give her five stars on Goodreads and favorably review all her books on my blog and tell all my friends, far and wide, that she's the greatest scribe ever?

Hmmm?”

Of course we do! I can't believe you would even question that.

Nice try though.

Orannia: “I am seriously beginning to wonder whether we were separated at birth.”

LOL. We do have a lot in common. :DDD

“Can I add fridge magents – we all know who started me on that now, don't we?”

Well, do tell. πŸ™‚

25. I bought both the special editions of the Teahouse. I am…pardon the pun…a Teahouse whore.

26. Natasha says:

To Kris and all her minions,

Hope you have a very merry Christmas and a fantastic 2012.

Tish

27. Mariana says:

I love pens, totes and stickers… I decorate all kinds of stuff with stickers. I can't have post-its in the house, the kids love tearing them apart 😦

I have to say that the swag does keep an author in mind… but I usually won't take swag from an author I don't read. I like being able to help promote those I like and read. I've had people ask me about some authors with the totes and stickers they see me carrying around.

Stephani: I don't get it. πŸ˜›

I might have received a copy of Chapter 2 for Xmas. <3

Tish: Merry Krismas to you, M and the girls, luv.

BTW, my autographed copy of 'Snuff'??

FUCKING AWESOME! THANK YOU! (((BIG FAT SQUISHY HUGS)))

Mariana: “. I can't have post-its in the house, the kids love tearing them apart :(“

*clutches pearls like she's just seen a taxidermied kangaroo scrotum*

THEY DO WHAT?!

I'm so shocked right now… I can't even…

29. Mariana says:

Sorry Kris… that's why I stopped buying. My niece (3 yrs) and nephew (6 yrs) love taking them apart… post-it, by post-it. It's painful 😦

Mariana, oh sweetheart… a life without post-its… I can't even imagine… the horror…

I'm here for you, Dear Friend. I'm here.