tasting ‘angels of the deep’: jitterbug’s choice

Angels of the Deep by Kirby Crow

The Blurb:

Becket Merriday is on the trail of a killer who is murdering beautiful young men in the small town of Irenic. What he discovers an ancient race of immortal beings hunted by an incredibly powerful adversary: the angel Mastema. Soon, Beck and his partner, Sean Logan, find themselves at the center of a deadly supernatural war.

Why I bought it:

A combination of the cover, the blurb and the author.

Dislike/like (ending on a high note):

Dislike~ More of a warning than a dislike… I am familiar with the Nephilim (the children of the ‘Sons of God’ and the ‘Daughters of Humans’) and therefore was quick to catch on to the main premise of the story, which, as the blurb says, is the hunting of the Nephilim by the Angel Mastema. It’s not essential to have an in depth knowledge of Nephilim, but a certain amount did help me to better understand the nuances of Angels of the Deep. Along these lines, some back story and flashbacks appear throughout the book to assist with the development of the story. Take notice of them. They are important!

Like~ This is dark fantasy, my friends. Not everything is as it seems and bad stuff happens (a lot) to people; some of which is quite graphic including murder and references to rape and to child abuse. Not a pleasant afternoon’s reading by any stretch of the imagination. So why the heck is this a like?? I LOVE good dark fantasy, that’s why. *G*

Dislike~ Being very, very honest, this story contains a cast of characters, who are very difficult to like, especially the main character Brett. He is a bit of a bastard, un/caring, cold/hot, a prick to his estranged wife, hovering on the brink of an affair with a man, and more often than not seemingly detached/inhuman. I thought he was a total wanker and then the big reveal happened and all became clear(er). This – and subsequent revelations – did make me feel more sympathetic to Brett in the end.

Like~ Twist upon twist upon twist upon twist. Other than the fact that I figured more people were going to die (prob’ly quite gruesomely) I had no idea where the plot was going and what was going to happen next. I love it when an author keeps you guessing, don’t you. 😉

So, what I think:

This will definitely NOT be everyone’s cuppa. For those of you who, like me, enjoy dark fantasy with a strong dash of mystery, GET IT. It’s an engrossing story which has the added bonus of being written by the talented Kirby Crow, who never fails to impress.

============================================

‘Tasting’ is my version of a mini-review where I talk a (very) little about what I liked and disliked about a book as well as who I think the story will appeal to. Oh, and I’ve added a bit about why I picked up the book in the first place – sometimes this can be interesting to know.

This entry was posted in contemporary, dark fantasy, kirby crow, m/m, tasting. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to tasting ‘angels of the deep’: jitterbug’s choice

I think I’ll pass on this – but good taste!

2. I’m a huge fan of Kirby’s SATWW series, but have been really on the fence about this one. Maybe because they post an excerpt that ends with the muscles of his heart burst and showered his chest cavity with bits of molten lava. Owwie. Kinda puts the whole HEA thing in doubt.Didn’t read anything here that would change my mind and make it a must read. Will keep it on the far back burner on the off chance that the day will come that I have absolutely nothing else to read

Tracy: Yep. Dark fantasy isn’t for everyone, but this will definitely appeal to fans of the genre.Emmy: Blogger STILL hates you?? Wow, you must really suck at the moment. *gigglesnort*I liked SATWW too, but this.. so, so, SO much darker than that. It may come as a surprise to her SATWW fans, but very much worth it in my opinion. S/he is such a terrific writer.

4. jitterbug says:

Thank you Kris! I love fantasy, and dark fantasy is quite to my taste. Deaths and violence never fail to affect me (I’m known for crying like a baby after some particularly moving/heartbreaking/upsetting passages) but I’ve cut my teeth on GRRMartin. I’ve learned to go on reading no matter what. ;)I will put this book at the top of my To Be Bought list. 🙂

It was my pimping pleasure, Jitterbug. *GRIN*I’m so glad that you like dark fantasy because I was a little worried that I might have put you off otherwise. *Phew!* Since you are a fan of the genre, I think you will really enjoy it. I thought it was very good – I read it all in one hit in fact. Always a good sign. 🙂

Definitely not for me. But glad you helped some other makde a decision.

Tam, you mean you haven’t noticed?? I’m ALL about helping people buy books. *GRIN*

I’m ALL about helping people buy books.Well, you’ve sure helped me *grin* I hadn’t heard of Kirby before this week, but I stumbled over a review of SATWW and I’ve added it to my TBR list.This also sounds good…am discovering I like dark fantasy. Is this the third in the series though?

No, “Angels of the Deep” is a one off/stand alone novel by Kirby Crow.The other series is a trilogy comprising: SATWW, then “Mariner’s Luck”, and finally “The Land of Night”. I think you will really enjoy SATWW. It’s very good.

Thank you Kris. I think I might start with SATWW just to see if I like Kirby Crow’s writing style…and work my way up to Angels of the Deep 🙂

11. Kassa says:

Hi Kris!When I was lurking on your site I saw you were going to review this so I waited to see what you would think. I finished reading this twice last week and I loved it so much! This is one of my rare must keep, read again books that I’ve found.I agree it’s dark fantasy but funny, I didn’t have a problem with Beck. He’s all the things you mentioned but somehow it worked (for me anyway). I actually liked all the dislikable characters. I didn’t mind they were total dicks.. and not in a good way :D. Think this book will have some interesting reactions.

Hi KassaI’m glad to find someone else who has read this book. It was such a terrific read. I started it thinking I would read a couple of chapters before going to bed… it was about 1am when I finished it. I couldn’t put it down. I was absolutely fascinated.I was doing this tasting and there were so many things I wanted to talk about, but soo hard to do without giving away some of the main aspects/twists of the plot. *sigh*I can’t say I ‘liked’ Beck, but I definitely felt sorry for him and certainly understood him better by the end of the book. I think you’re right. This will be a book that people will either love or hate. I’m not sure there will be many who will be able to take the middle ground on this one.

Thank you Kris. I think I might start with SATWW just to see if I like Kirby Crow’s writing style…and work my way up to Angels of the Deep :)No probs, Orannia. I hope you enjoy the series… mainly because I have to admit that I think “Angels of the Deep” just blows it out of the water. 😉